February 5, 2016
For years, the words orthodontist or orthodontics brought to mind metallic brackets and wires, years of discomfort and other less than ideal treatment options. While traditional metal braces are time tested and predictable, they are also not very cosmetically appealing. At McDougal and Richards Dentistry, we offer an
alternative: Invisalign. This orthodontic treatment uses clear, plastic alignment trays to gradually shift teeth to their ideal position. This treatment option has significantly advanced over the past few decades, and now, effectively corrects a number of more advanced concerns previously only treatable with traditional braces. If you’re ready to transform your smile, contact our Richardson, TX team today.
Types of Orthodontic Concerns Treated
The type of orthodontic treatments needed are the most important factor in determining whether to choose Invisalign or traditional bracket and wire braces. Some of the most common alignment issues and the recommended treatments are:
- Spacing issues – gapping or crowding typical for patients seeking orthodontic concerns can be treated with both types of orthodontics
- Irregular or flawed tooth position – slightly flawed tooth position (crookedness) can be corrected with either option
- Over, under, and crossbite – these are the most common bite alignment issues and in most cases, they are treatable using both Invisalign and traditional braces
- Back tooth bite issues – for more complex alignment issues affecting molars and premolars, only traditional bracket and wire braces are affective treatment options
- Vertical tooth movement – when dealing with teeth that are impacted or otherwise need to move further down into the smile line, only traditional braces are effective
- Rotation of teeth – teeth that need to be rotated more than 180 degrees, require the use of bracket and wire braces
Benefits of Traditional Braces
- Time tested, predictable results for even advanced concerns
- Can be less expensive depending on bracket and wire materials and length of treatment
- Able to treat the widest variety of malocclusions (misaligned teeth)
Benefits of Invisalign
- Advances in materials and techniques make it possible to correct more severe bite concerns with Invisalign
- More comfortable due to lack of metallic brackets and wires irritating soft tissue
- Removable so no need to change diet or oral hygiene routines
Find Out More
Contact McDougal and Richards Dentistry to find out more about Invisalign and traditional braces. Our friendly team is happy to answer any questions or schedule an orthodontic consultation.
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.