Your Dentist in Richardson Lists 3 Habits You Should Never Skip

June 4, 2018

Filed under: Uncategorized — drmcdougal @ 9:00 pm

Your oral health is a precious thing. When you take care of your smile, you can prevent painful dental problems, maintain fresh breath and attractive teeth, and even protect your overall health. It’s a sad fact, however, that many people don’t always give their mouth the TLC it needs and deserves. Your dentist in Richardson is here to talk about three important oral health habits you should never neglect.

Regular Dental Visits

Many people only see the dentist when they have a toothache — and that’s a big mistake! Routine preventive care can be the key to identifying problems with your teeth and gums long before they start to cause you pain.

It isn’t just your teeth that will thank you for visiting your dentist every six months. There is an intimate connection between oral health and overall health. Gum disease has been linked to such serious conditions as cardiovascular illness, dementia, and preterm birth.

Regular dental visits can also save you money. Insurance companies typically cover 80 to 100 percent of the cost of preventive care, whereas they may only cover 50 to 70 percent of the cost of major dental work.

Daily Flossing

Flossing might seem like a bit of a hassle, but it is extremely important! When you brush your teeth, you’re only cleaning about 60 percent of the teeth’s surfaces; the other 40 percent is between the teeth, in areas where your toothbrush cannot reach. Flossing makes sure your teeth are as clean as possible, and it can go a long way toward preventing plaque and tartar buildup. It can also help to prevent bad breath, cavities, and stains.

If you find it difficult to get into the habit of flossing, be sure to place your floss somewhere it’s easy to see so you have a visual reminder to clean between your teeth. It won’t be long before flossing is such a normal part of your routine that you don’t even have to think about it!

Brushing at Night

Most people brush their teeth early in the day because they want to get rid of morning breath and start the day feeling fresh. However, they might not be as diligent about brushing at night. That’s a bad thing because saliva production decreases during sleep, which means your mouth has fewer natural defenses against bacteria.

Brushing before bed can get rid of some of those harmful bacteria. It also reduces the chances that plaque will stay on your teeth long enough to harden into tartar, which can only be removed by a dental professional.

How are your dental habits? If you notice any areas where there is room for improvement, please make adjustments right away. Your oral health will thank you!

About the Dentist

Dr. Tom McDougal has been practicing dentistry for well over 40 years. Throughout his career, he has helped countless individuals to adopt healthy habits that benefit their teeth for a lifetime. If it is time for your next dental checkup, please contact our office at 972-231-5376.

No Comments

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.