October 16, 2019
If the idea of going to the dentist’s office puts you on edge, you’re not alone. Millions of people have what is known as dental anxiety, but thankfully, dentists are offering ways to combat this problem with sedation dentistry. Not only is it easing the stress people experience, but it’s also allowing dentists to improve a patient’s oral health when they would otherwise forgo treatment. Hear what your dentist in Richardson has to say about this beneficial method of treatment and how it is making a difference in the lives of both dentists and patients.
What Can Happen if I Avoid the Dentist?
Too many patients avoid the dentist because of their anxiety. This can result in an increased risk for many dental problems, including tooth decay, cavity formation, gum disease, and oral cancer. When this happens, what started as a small problem can quickly escalate into a larger, more serious situation that involves extensive treatment. Instead of avoiding your dentist like the plague, take the time to understand you have options that can make your dental visit much less stressful.
How Can Sedation Dentistry Help Calm My Nerves?
Sedation dentistry is widely used by dentists throughout the United States as a way to combat dental anxiety. There are three types of sedation available, each of which is used based on the recommendation of your dentist:
- Nitrous Oxide Sedation: You will wear a mask and inhale what is known as “laughing gas.” This creates a calming feeling that eliminates pain and sensitivity. The best part is the effects wear off quickly, so you can drive yourself to and from your appointment.
- Oral Conscious Sedation: You’ll receive a prescribed oral sedative that you will be taken prior to your appointment. As a result, you will need someone to escort you to and from your dental visit. You will be at the highest state of relaxation and have very little recollection of what occurred during your visit. Within a few hours after your procedure, the effects will wear off.
- Intravenous (IV) Sedation: Should you require IV Sedation, your dentist will administer the dosage through an IV and monitor it throughout the procedure to ensure total comfort. While you may not remember much of your visit, it is advised that you have someone take you and pick you up from your appointment and spend the day resting at home.
Am I Eligible for Sedation?
Sedation dentistry is a safe and effective solution for most individuals who experience anxiety or fear of the dentist’s office. Children are known to receive sedation if they have difficulty sitting still or are scared. Other reasons nitrous oxide, oral conscious sedation, or IV sedation may be used include:
- The patient has a low pain threshold
- They have sensitive teeth and gums
- They have a bad gag reflex
- An individual needs multiple or complex dental procedures performed at one time
- A person is unable to sit still in the dentist’s chair
Whether it is fear, anxiety, or your inability to tolerate pain that is keeping you from seeing your dentist, take control today and talk to your dental team about your sedation dentistry options. Before you know it, going to the dentist’s office won’t seem so scary, and you can continue to enjoy a healthy, beautiful smile.
About the Practice
At McDougal and Richards Dentistry, we know going to the dentist can be daunting. Fortunately, Dr. Tom McDougal and Dr. Chris Richards use sedation dentistry methods to keep patients calm and their nerves at ease. No matter if it’s a general cleaning or a more extensive procedure, you can trust our team to ensure you are comfortable the entire time. To learn more about how sedation dentistry can help you, contact us at (972) 231-5376.
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.