April 11, 2021
When learning you need orthodontic treatment, you might immediately assume metal braces are the only way you can achieve a straighter smile. Although there are various options available, the complexity of your case will ultimately determine if you need traditional orthodontics or clear aligners – a preferred choice for self-conscious, busy adults. In this article, a local dentist will explain the difference between Invisalign vs. braces to help you better understand which option will help you get the results you desire.
Invisalign vs. Traditional Braces: How Are They Different?
Invisalign consists of clear, plastic aligners that are removable and gently shift your teeth into the correct position. They often produce quicker results and allow for a more comfortable orthodontic solution because of the customized trays you are required to wear throughout treatment. Invisalign is also capable of treating overcrowding, spaces between teeth, and minor bite alignment issues.
Traditional braces are made up of a metal bracket and wire system that applies the necessary pressure to move and shift your teeth and jaw. Used by dentists and orthodontists for decades, they are often the go-to solution, especially in cases that require extensive or complex jaw alignment. Metal braces are more commonly associated with children and teenagers but are also a trusted and proven solution for adults.
The Pros Behind Invisalign
It is no secret that most older teenagers and adults prefer to avoid bulky metal braces if possible. Although this is not always possible, Invisalign in Richardson can certainly be a viable solution for individuals with minor orthodontic problems. They can also provide a host of benefits, such as:
- They are removable, making it easy to eat without getting food stuck in your teeth
- They are clear in appearance, which is ideal if you want to keep your orthodontic treatment a secret
- They tend to produce results much quicker than traditional braces
- They are comfortable to wear because of the sleek and smooth plastic that fits snugly against your teeth
- They’re easy to clean and require no special products cleaning supplies
- The follow-up visits required with Invisalign are quicker because there is no wire to adjust or replace
The Pros Behind Metal Braces
While metal braces cannot deliver the same subtlety as Invisalign, they are a worthwhile solution that can lead to healthy, beautiful results. Many of the benefits associated with traditional orthodontics include:
- They remain affixed to your teeth, so if you think you might have difficulty remembering to put your trays back in, metal braces will be the better option
- They are usually more affordable than Invisalign aligners
- Depending on your plan, your dental insurance company may help pay a portion of the cost
- Metal braces can fix even the most complex dental issue
Now that you have more information about Invisalign and braces, prepare to discuss with your dentist which option you believe will help you achieve your desired results. In the end, no matter which method you choose, you can expect to see a healthier, straighter, more beautiful smile.
About the Practice
At McDougal and Richards Dentistry, we provide high-quality dental care for each of our patients. Offering comprehensive services to meet your needs, Dr. Tom McDougal and Dr. Chris Richards are pleased to provide Invisalign if you are suffering from crooked, crowded, or gapped teeth. These clear aligners can also help to realign an overbite, underbite, crossbite, or open bite. Dr. Richards is a certified provider of Invisalign and will walk you through the process step-by-step to ensure you are ready for the results you’ll achieve with the help of these clear aligners. If you are ready to do something about your crooked or misaligned smile, contact us at (972) 231-5376.
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.