Tooth-Colored Fillings – Richardson, TX
Conservative Treatment, Long-Lasting Results
Tooth-colored fillings in Richardson are a clear alternative to traditional amalgam. Offering greater aesthetics and the same great protection, these new and improved restorations make it possible for patients to enjoy a more natural look that doesn’t shine a spotlight on their dental work. At McDougal and Richards Dentistry, our team of experts believes in solutions that will leave patients feeling confident in their decisions, which is why tooth-colored fillings are our go-to solution when cavities develop. Call us today to learn more.
What Are Tooth-Colored Fillings?
If you’re looking for a more subtle approach to restorative care, tooth-colored fillings are what we will recommend. Unlike traditional amalgam that stands out and requires significant removal of your tooth structure, a tooth-colored filling consists of composite resin that is malleable and color-matched to your natural tooth shade. When put into place, it offers a tight seal and is virtually invisible to anyone else. Only you and our team at McDougal and Richards Dentistry will know it is there.
The Process of Getting a Tooth-Colored Filling
When learning that you require a tooth-colored filling, you will arrive for your appointment to receive local anesthesia that will be used to numb the tooth and its surrounding area. Your dentist in Richardson will then begin to clear out the decayed portions of the tooth, only removing the damaged areas. Once thoroughly cleaned, the composite resin, which is pre-shaded to match your tooth enamel, will be placed into the small hole. Because of its malleable material, it will fit in the areas of the tooth quite easily.
Using a curing light, the resin will harden into place, creating a tight seal against any future reinfection or damage. After a final polish, the filling will appear to be non-existent, blending in beautifully with your existing smile.
The Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings
While many dentists still use traditional amalgam when it comes to fillings, there is a multitude of benefits that come with choosing a more conservative and natural-looking option like tooth-colored fillings, such as:
- You get to keep more of your natural tooth structure because composite resin is malleable.
- It is unlikely that you’ll experience damage to your tooth that is commonly caused by amalgam expanding when exposed to extreme temperatures.
- You’ll enjoy a more natural appearance that doesn’t capture the attention of on-lookers.
- You’ll enjoy improved oral health because of the filling’s ability to provide a tight seal, reducing your chances for reinfection in the future.
- You’ll enjoy a healthier material living inside your mouth that is biocompatible, unlike mercury, which can be harmful to your oral and overall health.